Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bad, Bad Me

Well, I did it again. I failed to keep updated on this lovely blog here! Though I'm not convinced anyone has read it so I don't feel too bad. Now, had someone left a comment saying "hey, where's some updates, I probably would have updated it sooner. I still haven't finished working on videos to upload, but I will do that....I hope.

Recovery is going awesome. We are now 6 months in to it. It seems like an eternity ago that she had the surgery. She pretty much has followed the same routine with PT, going once a week and working out diligently on her own the other days of the week. Every few weeks they would add a new and harder exercise to do. The first time they had her jump on a box she said it really was a battle of the mind to get her body to do it. Her quad gradually became stronger and muscle returned to it.

 In March she began jogging. Slowly at first and in intervals of jogging and walking, gradually increasing. She is now running 1-2 miles at a time. So far her best time for the mile post surgery I believe has been 8:27. Not too shabby. A few weeks ago she was fitted for her ACL brace, which she will wear when she begins soccer again. In March she was cleared to play golf for her HS team and has done well. Initially her leg would ache and be sore but she overcame it and actually qualified for state. We did have one moment of time when her knee swelled up quite noticeably. We took her in and the doctor reassured her it was nothing but just continued scar tissue breaking up. She is looking forward to summer and starting up training for soccer. We'll take it slow and as the doctor and PT advise her.

Hopefully it's not another 3 months before I post again. One thing I would encourage anyone with is to NOT slack off on your recovery and PT but stay diligent and after it. It really makes all the difference in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    Just posting to thank you for your blog and to let you know someone read it:) My 13 year old daughter tore her ACL in March in a soccer game. Her surgery was a little over 2 weeks ago. We are going through similar experiences. It's nice to hear your daughter is doing well. Keep posting! It's nice to hear it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to hear Maryann! We can just encourage her to stay very diligent and push through even when she doesn't want to, but also listen to her body as well.

      Will keep updating for sure.....thank you so much for commenting.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read about my journey. I hope that something I have written will encourage you if you or someone you know is walking this same journey.