Monday, November 19, 2012

Day....Whatever day it is...3?

Last night was rough..Kait did really well during the day, napping at times but then evening was a bit rough. She slept decent till about 3:00 and then woke up to her foot tingling and hurting. We were up for about an hour and a half till she was able to relax and fall back to sleep. We used some of the oils on it and I massaged it the best I could. I couldn't fall back to sleep right away because I knew I had to get up at 4:45 to give her the pain meds. After that she slept till after 8:00, then napped again later in the morning. Today went much better. We used the oils throughout the day and also decreased her meds to one pill instead of two for two of her times. She is still taking them every 4 hours. She's continuing to ice and elevate, using both the ice machine and just a soft ice pack. Pain management is a huge key to recovery. So is getting good sleep. It's hard to get an active teen to rest. She's also working on her range of motion and getting her leg flat and also flexing. I'll try to take some pictures and video tomorrow. She seems a little more clear in her thinking and going to attempt a shower tomorrow.

Because she's cooped up, it's important to try to get her out here and there (chiropractor, Starbucks drive through, even a friends house for an hour or so...as long as her leg was up and she was icing). She's also had a few friends come over and visit.

One thing that I wish I would have thought of sooner, was to have some meals pre-made for at least the first 3-5 days or have friends help out and bring a meal. Even though as a "mom" or parent you aren't the one having surgery, your time is consumed taking care of your child. You will be tired, you will NOT feel like making dinner, doing dishes, etc. A friend did bring a meal the first night which was great. I made an easy soup that didn't take much effort on Sunday and we had leftovers today. Trying to keep it simple.

Here's to a great nights sleep................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read about my journey. I hope that something I have written will encourage you if you or someone you know is walking this same journey.